New filk: Pantheon
2016-07-08 18:22:21 UTC
I said that "Whistling Sea" was one of the top two of mine in
amount of research required. Here's the other one. I'll post some
of the answers separately instead of using spoiler space.

BTW, despite what Richard Perlmutter says(*), it's not _quite_
the same every verse.

Title: Pantheon
ttto: In the Hall of the Mountain King (by Edvard Grieg)

01
God with wings upon his feet
Messenger, he is fleet
Alternately freezing and
Sun-broiling his face

02
On Olympus, high above
There she sits, god of love
Early evening, early morn
Entrancing with her glow

03
God of war with blood-red hands
In the sky, there he stands
Fear and Panic constitute
His retinue

04
God of farming, god of grain
Largest in her domain
We don't see her with our eyes;
Bode said she's there

05
God of weather, god of sky
Has he one big red eye?
Biggest, greatest of them all
He dominates his realm

06
Titan he and ruler he
With his tight coterie
With his ring of hangers-on
He's beautiful to view

07
Father of the Titans spins
On his side. He begins
Sad tradition of the gods
Requiring patricide

08
God of rivers, oceans, seas,
It is wise to appease
For tranquility to match
The plain, blue orb we see

09
He who rules the dead men's dreams
More complex than he seemed
Pockmarked, yes, but also smooth
He's lots of heart

10
Squalid, mean, old ferryman
He was no merry man
Grander than we thought at first
Almost a twin

11
Mother in Hawaiian isles
Worshipped by H'waiian-philes
With her children, body-borne,
She hid from us for years

12
Chief god of the Rapa Nui
Reddish, though; he's not bluey
Made the people, so they say
Helped kill a planet, too

13
As the daughter of the Night
Strife can cause all to fight
Even now, in modern times
She caused a mighty row.

14
List of gods could still go on
It's too big for this song
Hundreds more may yet be found
In Oort and Kuiper belts

15
What about the one I skipped?
Did you think I had slipped?
Rest assured that you will get
Your money's worth

16
Though there is no namesake god
It is part of our squad
Of remaining verses though,
There is a dearth

17(**)
Named for soil, named for clods
Though she's no lack of gods
Lexically there is no link
Bringing me much mirth

18
She's the mother of us all
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall
At the end we honor her,
As place of our birth.

(Coda)
At the end we honored her as the place of our birth.
At the end we honored her as the place of our birth.

*:
http://beethovenswig.com/index.php?page=songs&category=Beethoven-squo-s_Wig,_Vol._2-col-_More_Sing-Along_Symphonies&display=14

**: If you pronounce "lexically" with four syllables, you can make
"there is" into "there's".

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Arthur T.
2016-07-08 18:26:50 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I said that "Whistling Sea" was one of the top two of mine in
amount of research required. Here's the other one. I'll post some
of the answers separately instead of using spoiler space.
Title: Pantheon
ttto: In the Hall of the Mountain King (by Edvard Grieg)
01 Mercury
02 Venus
03 Mars
Phobos
Deimos
04 *Ceres
05 Jupiter
06 Saturn
07 Uranus
08 Neptune
09 *Pluto
10 Charon
11 *Haumea
12 *Makemake
13 *Eris
14
15+Earth

* = official dwarf planet
Kay Shapero
2016-07-09 03:26:45 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I said that "Whistling Sea" was one of the top two of mine in
amount of research required. Here's the other one. I'll post some
of the answers separately instead of using spoiler space.
BTW, despite what Richard Perlmutter says(*), it's not _quite_
the same every verse.
Title: Pantheon
ttto: In the Hall of the Mountain King (by Edvard Grieg)
01
God with wings upon his feet
Messenger, he is fleet
Alternately freezing and
Sun-broiling his face
etc. Good one!!
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
Gary McGath
2016-07-09 15:06:46 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I said that "Whistling Sea" was one of the top two of mine in
amount of research required. Here's the other one. I'll post some
of the answers separately instead of using spoiler space.
BTW, despite what Richard Perlmutter says(*), it's not _quite_
the same every verse.
I read it while playing a recording I found on YouTube. It matches up
quite nicely!

The original gets faster and more frantic with each "verse," as if more
and more trolls are appearing in Ibsen's play. I wouldn't sing it that
way, though.
2016-07-10 04:31:44 UTC
<snip>
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Arthur T.
BTW, despite what Richard Perlmutter says(*), it's not _quite_
the same every verse.
I read it while playing a recording I found on YouTube. It matches up
quite nicely!
Thanks. I put a fair amount of work into that.
Post by Gary McGath
The original gets faster and more frantic with each "verse," as if more
and more trolls are appearing in Ibsen's play. I wouldn't sing it that
way, though.
I tried to figure a way to match my lyrics with the increasing
speed and volume, but I couldn't manage it.

I also wasn't sure if it was ready to release. But I figured I
had to get it out soon or have to do some major rewriting if/when
they find Planet 9. There seems to be a lot of agreement that it's
probably out there.
2017-10-07 23:50:41 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Chief god of the Rapa Nui
Reddish, though; he's not bluey
Made the people, so they say
Helped kill a planet, too
So here is what I hope is an improved version (change in first
two lines):

Rapa Nui's deity
Reddish-brown one is he
Made the people, so they say
Helped kill a planet, too

I was going to connect him to the Moai, but his worshipers
"succeeded the island's more famous Moai era" (per Wiki).