New filks: Olaf the Snowman
2017-08-13 18:43:46 UTC
Yes, the subject says "filks", plural. About three years ago
Lee suggest that someone write a song, Olaf the Snowman. Inspiration
finally struck me, and I wrote one ttto Frosty the Snowman. I then
went back and noted that Lee suggested the tune of Eleanor Rigby. I
thought that had possibilities, too, so I wrote that also. If you
read both, you'll see that their themes are the same. That theme
came to me when thinking of Olaf and an incident in Harry Potter and
the Methods of Rationality.

Title: Olaf the Snowman (Rigby)
ttto: Eleanor Rigby by John Lennon and Paul McCartney

O-laf and others, are they people?
Sentient snowmen, are they people?

Olaf the snowman
Came into being when Elsa enchanted him so,
Out of the snow.

Can she make souls, though?
Sure, she can animate snow in the form of a bod.
But is she God?

All the snowmen she made,
Where did they all go to?

All the snowmen she made,
This question's overdue.

Is Elsa evil,
Bringing these conscious things into the world on a whim?
It seems so grim...

Knowing they'll die soon.
Anna's accomplice in making the earlier men.
How'd they feel then?

All the snowmen she made,
Where did they all go to?

All the snowmen she made,
This question's overdue.

Olaf is here now.
When we last see him he's happy and very alive.
Let's let him thrive.

Having a child
Brings into consciousness new life that surely will die.
We don't ask "Why?"

All the snowmen she made,
They lived before they died.

All the snowmen she made,
I guess I shouldn't chide.

Title: Olaf the Snowman (Frosty)
ttto: Frosty the Snowman by Walter "Jack" Rollins & Steve Nelson

Olaf the snowman
Is a thinking, feeling form.
He can live and stay, up until that day,
When the air will get too warm.

Olaf the snowman
Seems alive and sentient, too.
Elsa made him so, magicked him from snow,
Should that process be taboo?

There's one thing that I wonder, though,
Does Olaf have a soul?
Should these be brought forth recklessly,
Or should there be some control?

Elsa made Olaf,
And some others in her youth.
All the others died. Had the children cried
When they found this dismal truth?

Olaf's a person,
So is Elsa Frankenstein?
It was all in fun; what is done is done.
Was it evil or benign?

Olaf is living,
And he seems to think it's fine.
Let him laugh and play; he deserves his day.
The decisions aren't mine.

We lend the world to each new child -
A century or less.
This isn't too much different, so
Everything is good, I guess.

Olaf and Elsa,
They deserve the lives they have.
Though I might have qualms, I'll breath deep and calm
Myself on their behalf.

(Coda)
Olaf is skating; Olaf is singing
With his heart aglow.
Olaf is happy; Olaf has friends though
He is made of snow.

My lyrics copyright 2017 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Lee Gold XP

--Lee
Arthur T.
2017-08-13 23:32:53 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Thank you!
I'm fairly sure this isn't the kind of filk you were
contemplating. I'm glad you're pleased.