Help identifying an anthology
John Davis
2017-01-22 20:37:54 UTC
I'm am looking for an anthology and thought you folks may just be able
to find it.. It contains the SOURCE STORY for Bill roper's Eulogy
(Under the wide and starry skies, ... Actually that line is from an
actual Eulogy. but Bill opens and closes with it, the part in between is
the Science Fiction part)

it also tells of a United States, Ruled by a "Christian" dictator, The
Masons are leading the "Resistance" against him, Some of the features of
this collection of stories are weapons all labled "Christian _____"
example the H&K .223 Christian Assault Rifel, A Christian Defense Knife
and so on.

I read this years ago and the title I "Recall" is something else entirely.

NOTE I would recommend folks read that book about now, if not sooner.
Home, is where I park it.
Scott Dorsey
2017-01-22 21:34:00 UTC
Post by John Davis
I'm am looking for an anthology and thought you folks may just be able
to find it.. It contains the SOURCE STORY for Bill roper's Eulogy
(Under the wide and starry skies, ... Actually that line is from an
actual Eulogy. but Bill opens and closes with it, the part in between is
the Science Fiction part)
Are you talking about Heinlein's story "Requiem?" That has been anthologized
a lot but it should be easy enough to track down all the books containing it
with a web search.
Post by John Davis
it also tells of a United States, Ruled by a "Christian" dictator, The
Masons are leading the "Resistance" against him, Some of the features of
this collection of stories are weapons all labled "Christian _____"
example the H&K .223 Christian Assault Rifel, A Christian Defense Knife
and so on.
Now THAT is a story I've never seen, but I'd like to. Even Nehemia Scudder
didn't go so far.
--scott
Lee Gold XP
2017-01-22 22:05:56 UTC
Post by John Davis
it also tells of a United States, Ruled by a "Christian" dictator, The
Masons are leading the "Resistance" against him, Some of the features of
this collection of stories are weapons all labled "Christian _____"
example the H&K .223 Christian Assault Rifel, A Christian Defense Knife
and so on.
Now THAT is a story I've never seen, but I'd like to. Even Nehemia Scudder
didn't go so far.
--scott
Umm, it's not a eature of the story but of "the collection of stories."

The Masons leading the revolt against a Christian dictator sounds like
Heinlein's "If This Goes On...." except for the weapon labeling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_This_Goes_On%E2%80%94

--Lee
John Davis
2017-01-24 22:21:43 UTC
\
Post by Lee Gold XP
The Masons leading the revolt against a Christian dictator sounds like
Heinlein's "If This Goes On...." except for the weapon labeling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_This_Goes_On%E2%80%94
--Lee
Bulls Eye, Thanks. that is the information I need.

And .. Well. Read it with one hand and current news with the other.. Scary.
Home, is where I park it.
Scott Dorsey
2017-01-25 00:30:56 UTC
Post by John Davis
Post by Lee Gold XP
The Masons leading the revolt against a Christian dictator sounds like
Heinlein's "If This Goes On...." except for the weapon labeling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_This_Goes_On%E2%80%94
Bulls Eye, Thanks. that is the information I need.
And .. Well. Read it with one hand and current news with the other.. Scary.
In that case, the book you read is likely not an anthology but Heinlein's
short story collection "The Past Through Tomorrow."

I do recommend reading the book again although you will find that Nehemia
Scudder bears little connection to the people currently in power (which is
about the only good thing I can say for them).

I am sorry that the weapon labelling isn't part of it because that seemed
like a great thing. Perhaps I will use that in a film myself someday.
--scott
2017-01-25 01:38:44 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
In that case, the book you read is likely not an anthology but Heinlein's
short story collection "The Past Through Tomorrow."
"If This Goes On..." was earlier published in a book called "Revolt in
2100." It included "Coventry" and "Misfit" as well. That book was one of
the first Heinleins I read. (I'm fairly sure the first was "Methuselah's
Children.")
John Davis
2017-01-24 22:20:29 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by John Davis
I'm am looking for an anthology and thought you folks may just be able
to find it.. It contains the SOURCE STORY for Bill roper's Eulogy
(Under the wide and starry skies, ... Actually that line is from an
actual Eulogy. but Bill opens and closes with it, the part in between is
the Science Fiction part)
Are you talking about Heinlein's story "Requiem?" That has been anthologized
a lot but it should be easy enough to track down all the books containing it
with a web search.
That is one of the stories in the anthology I suspect.. And knowing that
will be a big help to me.. Thank you.
--
Home, is where I park it.