New filk: The Space-time Clock
2016-11-13 02:11:02 UTC
I see that there are significantly different versions of The
Syncopated Clock. This was written to one I found that almost
matches my memory from The Late Late Show.

Title: The Space-time Clock
ttto: The Syncopated Clock by Leroy Anderson

"How do you measure time?" said I
When you are moving, logic does defy
There seems no reason and no rhyme
Why we are forced to use space-time.

But Einstein said, "It's simple, son;
Use my equations and you'll get it done.
You must account for axis tilt
That is the base on which I built."

When we are moving differently
We will not always agree
And things you measure at one time
Might measure as later to me

When speed is small, though, you will find
Our measurements are almost dead aligned
Don't worry 'bout velocity
Until it's good percent of c

But you see, if near c
There's a time gulf betwixt you and me
In defense, it makes sense
If you'd luminous ether dispense

But near c, what you see
Will be changed by a marked degree
In a sense, when you're hence
Relativity rules will commence

And that is why you must compute
Else you and I will have a time dispute
Where you see time I might see space
So space-time's what we should embrace

But you can measure how you feel
There is a trick that naturally conceals.
If you don't care about my view
It makes no difference what you do

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Mark Mandel
2016-11-13 16:14:09 UTC
Ah! the indentations were lost in the digest, so I couldn't tell verse from chorus.

But... I sure remember "The Syncopated Clock" from The Early Show and The Late Show and The Late, Late Show, but I don't remember any part of the tune that goes well with your 2nd and 3rd choruses ("But you see", "But near c"). Nu?

Mark Mandel, "The Filker with No Nickname"
Arthur T.
2016-11-13 17:13:42 UTC
In
Post by Mark Mandel
I sure remember "The Syncopated Clock" from The Early Show and The Late Show and The Late, Late Show, but I don't remember any part of the tune that goes well with your 2nd and 3rd choruses ("But you see", "But near c"). Nu?
I also don't remember that section. Additionally, I remember an
extra beat or two in the second melodic section ("When we are moving
differently").

Because I know that memory is fallible, I try to obtain
recordings (or at least MIDIs) of the songs I'm filking. They
contain that section neither of us remember.

Also, I found that there were words to the tune (such as at
<http://www.elyrics.net/read/r/rosemary-clooney-lyrics/the-syncopated-clock-lyrics.html>).
I could not find out whether they were original or added later (and
by whom).
Mark Mandel
2016-11-14 16:18:56 UTC
I definitely remember this verse (except with "famous"→"happy" and maybe "hear the"→"hear that", easily a slip of memory):

But now a famous man is he
He owns a public curiosity
From far and wide the people flock
To hear the syncopated clock

Mark
Kay Shapero
2016-11-17 07:41:56 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I see that there are significantly different versions of The
Syncopated Clock. This was written to one I found that almost
matches my memory from The Late Late Show.
Title: The Space-time Clock
ttto: The Syncopated Clock by Leroy Anderson
Mostly fits the one I recall from an album Dad has that I listened to a
lot as a child, except for the second pair of alternate tune segments
that don't seem to fit either of 'em without an epic amount of
squeezing. Impressive all the same - don't think I've ever heard that
one filked and it's a good song.
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm