New Filk: You Can't Make Me
Spear Carrier
2016-11-21 03:29:35 UTC
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence

You can't make me
(I) Don't wanna adult anymore
You can't make me
Tossing my adult card out the door.

(Wah wah wah wah wah wah waaaah)

You won't make me go to work
Just try and I'll flat go berserk
And don't tell me not to play
In my pj's night and day

(Cuz) You won't make me
Not doing grown-up stuff anymore
You can't make me
Being grown-up is such a bore

Don't tell me what to do
Don't tell me how to play
This is how I'll live my life
Without bills, bosses and strife

I'm young, and I'm gonna stay young
It's free cuz for kids life is free
To play pretend whenever I want (without dice)
And get meal toys at the restaurant

Don't tell me what to do
Don't tell me how to play
Go to work if you want to
I'll watch cartoons all day

I'm free and I love to be free
I'm young and I love to be young
To play hopscotch whenever I please
To play in the dirt and scratch up my knees

I don't want to brush my hair
Just play with my teddybear
Don't say I can't suck my thumb
Your not my daddy nor my mum

____

A lot of these lyrics are meant to be interchangeable according to your mood or whatever. I tried to perform it for the first time tonight at my first house filk sing, but I was so shy and nervous I couldn't hold a note and couldn't play it on my harp anyway so just sang the first 3 stanzas, got a laugh out of the crowd, and then told them that the song wasn't finished. LOL. I was shaking so much!

I've actually had this song written for months now - I had no idea the political climate happening now would happen. This song is not referring to the protests at all.
Gary McGath
2016-11-21 12:21:57 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence
You can't make me
(I) Don't wanna adult anymore
You can't make me
Tossing my adult card out the door.
I don't know the original, but this gave me a chuckle.
Spear Carrier
2016-11-22 02:57:42 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
I don't know the original, but this gave me a chuckle.
Yay! I have completed my earthly mission and can now return to the mothership.

Here's one of the versions of the song:

One of my favorites.
Rich Brown
2016-11-21 14:59:22 UTC
Been there, done that. It's hard to sing when you're shaking. No mater
how many times you practice a song in the car (at night, so other drivers
can't see you lips move) it's different singing in front of an audience.
You'll learn how to handle the quivers, we promise.

Welcome to the group.
Spear Carrier
LOL. Well I can say that I at least don't worry about being seeing me sing in the car... so maybe there's hope. :-)
Kay Shapero
2016-11-24 02:06:16 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
Post by Rich Brown
Been there, done that. It's hard to sing when you're shaking. No mater
how many times you practice a song in the car (at night, so other drivers
can't see you lips move) it's different singing in front of an audience.
You'll learn how to handle the quivers, we promise.
LOL. Well I can say that I at least don't worry about being seeing me sing in the car... so maybe there's hope. :-)
What I used to do when about to perform (especially on stage at a con..)
was to scare myself ahead of time so I wouldn't get stage fright. Oddly
enough, it still works.
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
Spear Carrier
2016-11-28 06:27:33 UTC
This weekend for me what happened was being stuck in the middle of the convention mess hall and left by the husband, begged for songs by an elder, and being in a familiar "diner theatre" environment. Can't promise that will work at the next filk sing. :-pP
Kay Shapero
2016-12-09 07:02:13 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
Post by Kay Shapero
What I used to do when about to perform (especially on stage at a con..)
was to scare myself ahead of time so I wouldn't get stage fright. Oddly
enough, it still works.
This weekend for me what happened was being stuck in the middle of the
convention mess hall and left by the husband, begged for songs by an
elder, and being in a familiar "diner theatre" environment. Can't
promise that will work at the next filk sing. :-pP
Wahtever works. :)
Kay Shapero
2016-11-22 08:50:08 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence
You can't make me
(I) Don't wanna adult anymore
You can't make me
Tossing my adult card out the door.
Giggle - I know the feeling (and I'm just about to turn 66; maybe
they'll let me be a post-adult?). Good one!
Arthur T.
2016-11-22 09:16:29 UTC
In
Post by Spear Carrier
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence
Well, Peter Pan made this strategy work....
Leslie
2016-11-22 13:52:39 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence
You can't make me
Ahahahahahahahahaha! Brilliant! And oh, so true! ...Hmmmm, is there any way to change the final verse to include: "Whatcha mean, you're kicking me out the door?"

--Leslie <;)))><
Spear Carrier
2016-11-22 15:42:08 UTC
On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 7:52:40 AM UTC-6, Leslie wrote:
illiant! And oh, so true! ...Hmmmm, is there any way to change the final verse to include: "Whatcha mean, you're kicking me out the door?"
Post by Leslie
--Leslie <;)))><
I can completely hear you snarking that remark at the end, yes. =^-^=
Kay Shapero
2016-11-24 02:09:29 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
TTO: You Don't Own Me, mostly by Leslie Gore with a little Bette Midler influence
You can't make me
Ahahahahahahahahaha! Brilliant! And oh, so true! ...Hmmmm, is there
any way to change the final verse to include: "Whatcha mean, you're
kicking me out the door?"
--Leslie <;)))><
OOK! (Why is the Bimbo Rag coming to mind? :) )