New Filk: Ode to the Mignight Writer
Spear Carrier
2016-11-30 09:40:22 UTC
Ode to the Midnight Writer
TTO: Simon and Garfunkle, Sounds of Silence
__________________________

Hey insomnia, my old friend
I see you're stalking me again
These ideas and thoughts are keeping
Me awake when I should be sleeping
And the emails that keep landing in my box
They can't be stopped.
And thus the sounds
Of my typing...

I could be getting something done
Or finally beating level one (thousand)
Maybe I should watch an episode
Of Castle or maybe clean the kamode.
But my eyes are stabbed by the flash of the puter light
So I sit tight
And touch the keys in rhythm

ANd in the forum chats I see
Lots of people just like me...
People talking without speaking.
Posting selfies and not listening (like ever)
People writing sob stories they feel they have to share
They all are there
Under the spell of insomnia.

So I go back to my bed
And put my pillow under head
And toss and turn like a small earthquake
But still I lay there in the dark awake
Counting sheep like the silent shepherd kind
Until the day brings back the sunshine.

Other people bow and pray
To melatonin, drugs or the day
While my fingers flash out stories
In the plotlines that are forming
Knowing my book will be a bestseller after I'm dead
Or never read
ANd whispered in the snores of slumber.

I'm gonna borrow from a certain genius here and post that this song is okay for noncommercial use. I wrote this a long while back and am putting it into the wiki tonight. I really gotta get started on learning how to play it I guess.
Gary McGath 2.0
2016-12-02 19:49:56 UTC
Post by Spear Carrier
[...]
Why, Ms. Joyner - that's quite good.