New filk: Paper Chase
2016-10-28 01:30:17 UTC

Adrenaline won't help you
'Cause it makes your hands too sweaty,
Causes you to throw too hard,
And ties your guts in knots.
But calmness lets you focus
Lets you concentrate on throwing
Lets you watch the others
All screwing up their shots.

(Chorus 2-3 times depending on arrangement)

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Lee Gold XP
2016-10-28 04:38:34 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Paper Chase
ttto: The Gambler by Don Schlitz
In a large closed-up hangar
Interesting.
From the title, I was thinking of an old TV show about law students.

--Lee
Arthur T.
2016-10-28 04:49:16 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Paper Chase
ttto: The Gambler by Don Schlitz
In a large closed-up hangar
Interesting.
From the title, I was thinking of an old TV show about law students.
... which I never saw, but was famous enough for me to steal its
title.

I do hope that somewhere along the way it became obvious that
this was about the (annual?) paper airplane competition. It was in
the news a little ways back, and this is the result of my hearing
about it.
Ken W2KB
2016-10-28 18:06:24 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Paper Chase
ttto: The Gambler by Don Schlitz
In a large closed-up hangar
Interesting.
From the title, I was thinking of an old TV show about law students.
--Lee
Lee,
Me too. When I was an evening student at Seton Hall Law School, the student activities council in 1975 or 1976 one evening before class showed in the student lounge the video tape of the 1973 Paper Chase movie that was the basis for the 1978 TV show. Near the end of the movie is a scene where the first year Harvard law student, without even glancing at his first year grades, made a paper airplane out of the grade report mailing and sent it flying into the ocean. The scene elicited a resounding spate of boos and shouts of "no way would any first year student ever not look at his grades and toss the report, Harvard or any other school". <g>
---Ken
Arthur T.
2016-10-28 22:00:38 UTC
In
Post by Ken W2KB
without even glancing at his first year grades, made a paper airplane out of the grade report mailing and sent it flying into the ocean
I chose the title based solely on the connection with "paper".
I didn't know that there was a more direct connection with the movie.
Thanks for that information.
2016-11-01 05:47:05 UTC
In
<snip>
Post by Ken W2KB
Post by Lee Gold XP
Interesting.
From the title, I was thinking of an old TV show about law students.
Lee,
Me too.
I probably don't want people reading the song and coming in with
a wrong impression, as you both did. Does anyone have druthers about
the following possible titles?

Folding Wonder
Paper Airplane Contest

Does anyone have suggestions for a better title?
2016-11-01 09:24:51 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I probably don't want people reading the song and coming in with
a wrong impression, as you both did. Does anyone have druthers about
the following possible titles?
Folding Wonder
Paper Airplane Contest
Does anyone have suggestions for a better title?
Punning titles are an old filk tradition. I don't see a problem with
"Paper Chase."
Lee Gold XP
2016-11-01 12:34:49 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Arthur T.
I probably don't want people reading the song and coming in with
a wrong impression, as you both did. Does anyone have druthers about
the following possible titles?
Folding Wonder
Paper Airplane Contest
Does anyone have suggestions for a better title?
Punning titles are an old filk tradition. I don't see a problem with
"Paper Chase."
I didn't see the pun as a problem.
The problem, if there was one, was whether in 5-10 years, someone trying
to remember the song would think of the title.
If I were asking for a re-title, I'd ask it to be "You've Got to Know
How to Fold 'Em"

--Lee

--Lee
Rick Hewett
2016-11-01 16:59:05 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I probably don't want people reading the song and coming in with
a wrong impression, as you both did. Does anyone have druthers about
the following possible titles?
Folding Wonder
Paper Airplane Contest
Does anyone have suggestions for a better title?
Dunno about better. Alteratives, yes...

Perhaps "The Folder" filking the original's title...

... or some combination of "Folds", "Folded" or "Folding" and "Flying",
"Flight", "Flier(s)", "Fancy" or "Fancies".

"Flying Folds", "Folded Fliers", "Flying Folded Fancies", ...

Take your pick, and welcome. ;)
--
..Rick Hewett http://www.hewett.org/
- "You pay for it before you eat it? What happens if it's dreadful?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)
Rich Brown

Kay Shapero
2016-10-31 03:16:16 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Paper Chase
ttto: The Gambler by Don Schlitz
OOK - like Lee the first thing I thought of was the tv series, but it
was obvious soon enough what you were talking about, even though I've
never heard of the competition. Sounds most entertaining, and I like
the song!
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm