New Filk: Caerbannog Wassail
X-Lydia
2016-12-25 21:25:03 UTC
lyrics by Susanna R.A. Miller
tune: "Gloucestershire Wassail" (traditional)

O Grail, o Grail, all over the land
We'll seek thee, and find thee, and take thee in hand,
Our quest it is pure, as is our fealty,
And with help from Above, we'll drink from thee.

Then here's to King Arthur, our sovereign so bold,
His helm is of steel, and his crown it is of gold,
His sword is a gift from the waters' ladye,
O Grail, o Grail, may he drink from thee.

Beware of the peril that all knights must face,
Of deadliest glamour and beautiful face,
But if we resist most valiantly,
O Grail, o Grail, we'll drink from thee.

Then here's to the knight in armour so black,
Who flinches from nothing and shuns no attack,
Whose boasts none can still, although he bleed free,
O Grail, o Grail, may he drink from thee.

Then here's to the minstrels with voices so sweet,
Who sing of brave deeds and strategic retreat,
Of weapons and wounds and warriors without fear,
I'd pour them wassail if they were still here.

Then here is to Bossy and to her left ear,
She flew through the air and she landed quite near,
We came to this castle but now we are gone,
Car leur roi m'a dit "Va-t'en, va-t'en!"

Then here's to the lesson we quote faithfully:
We count first to one, then to two, then to three,
But if you count further, we'll scream and we'll shout
that four is Not Done, and five is Right Out!

Then here's to the maid in the camouflage smock,
Who crept to the door and who slipped back the lock,
Who opened the door and who pulled out the pin,
For to lob the Holy Hand Grenade in.
Arthur T.
2016-12-26 01:01:38 UTC
In
Post by X-Lydia
lyrics by Susanna R.A. Miller
tune: "Gloucestershire Wassail" (traditional)
Nice song. It took me a few verses to figure out it wasn't
about the traditional quest for the grail.
Post by X-Lydia
Whose boasts none can still, although he bleed free,
It seems as though "still" isn't quite right on its own. I'm
not sure if it's fine as is, if there should be a word after "still",
or if "still" should be, perhaps, "pass".
X-Lydia
2016-12-26 02:30:13 UTC
On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 1:02:02 AM UTC, Arthur T. wrote:
<snip>
Post by Arthur T.
Post by X-Lydia
lyrics by Susanna R.A. Miller
tune: "Gloucestershire Wassail" (traditional)
Nice song. It took me a few verses to figure out it wasn't
about the traditional quest for the grail.
Good. That's what I had in mind.
Here, "still" is a transitive verb, meaning "make still; quieten". Its object (every transitive verb has one) is the word "boasts". So...no one can quieten his boasts. But don't take my word for it...Oxford says it can be a verb: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/still
Gary McGath
2016-12-26 12:24:41 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
In
Post by X-Lydia
lyrics by Susanna R.A. Miller
tune: "Gloucestershire Wassail" (traditional)
Nice song. It took me a few verses to figure out it wasn't
about the traditional quest for the grail.
Yes, wonderfully sneaky. I had to read it again after finishing.
X-Lydia
Thanks! (heh, heh)
Jeff Urs
2016-12-26 15:37:48 UTC
Marvelous!

(Unlike Arthur, though, I heard "Some call me... Tim" while reading the title.)
Jeff
X-Lydia
Thanks. Glad the title didn't totally ruin the surprise.
Jeff Urs
2016-12-27 07:57:45 UTC
Say, rather, that the lack of surprise did nothing to spoil it.

I *do* like my Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though! And so, a follower:

"Holding Out For The Grail"
ttto “Holding Out For A Hero”
New Lyrics, Jeff Urs 2004

Where have all the good quests gone,
And where's the voice of God
That sent me on that Grail hunt
With that crew that seemed so odd?
Where are all my white knights
(Though most of them were green)?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And of what I need I dream.

I need a swallow,
I'm looking out for a swallow that gives coconuts rides.
I've gotta be strong and I've gotta be fast,
And I need a "clip-clop" in my stride.

I need a swallow,
I'm looking out for each swallow till I've learned all the kinds,
Just because it's a thing you should know when you're king,
And to blow the old bridgekeeper's mind --
Blow his old mind.

In my dreams at midnight,
When the way is barred to me,
I disarm that sable knight
And "It!" the knights who once said "Ni!".
Counting out the rabbit with the Holy Hand Grenade,
Keeper flown at the Bridge of Death, I'm sure we have it made.

Across the water to the castle named Arrrggh!
Our goal we cry out, "Show the Grail!",
Though I fear that their answer's bound to rust my mail.
But as our charge on the Frogs we press home,
All their taunts to repay,
In these four padded walls I awake to the day.

I need a swallow,
I'm looking out for a swallow of a different kind;
Just one sip for the guards and I’m out of this yard...
And I’m gonna get the Grail this time!
Jeff
X-Lydia
2016-12-28 18:09:28 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
[...]
Brilliant...and I didn't expect the ending.