New song: Sears
2017-07-25 05:03:53 UTC
This didn't go at all in the direction I expected. I don't
expect to write more verses for this. I hope I'll eventually be able
to write something along the lines of my original idea.

Title: Sears
ttto: There Is a Tavern in the Town

Is there a Penney's in the mall, in the mall?
I do not like Sear's stores at all, stores at all.
I'll shop Boscov's, Macy's, Sack's, and I'll be glad.
But once-good Sear's stores now are bad.

It's a shame it has degraded,
Its old glory now is faded,
And its cashiers and its customer support
Don't care.

Some say, Sears cannot halt its death, halt its death
Though it's not yet breathed it last breath, its last breath
I wish it could, for it used to be so good
For years, for quality it stood.

My lyrics copyright 2017 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Gary McGath
2017-07-25 09:36:56 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
This didn't go at all in the direction I expected. I don't
expect to write more verses for this. I hope I'll eventually be able
to write something along the lines of my original idea.
Title: Sears
ttto: There Is a Tavern in the Town
Did anything in particular motivate this?

I haven't shopped much at Sears since an incident perhaps a decade ago.
I bought a towel and then noticed I had been overcharged based on the
display price. I brought it back -- to the same clerk, before I had left
the store -- and he bombarded me with questions about my address, phone,
etc. before he'd let me have the dollar back.
2017-07-25 18:17:18 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Arthur T.
This didn't go at all in the direction I expected. I don't
expect to write more verses for this. I hope I'll eventually be able
to write something along the lines of my original idea.
Title: Sears
ttto: There Is a Tavern in the Town
Did anything in particular motivate this?
I haven't shopped much at Sears since an incident perhaps a decade ago.
I bought a towel and then noticed I had been overcharged based on the
display price. I brought it back -- to the same clerk, before I had left
the store -- and he bombarded me with questions about my address, phone,
etc. before he'd let me have the dollar back.
I follow Consumerist <https://consumerist.com>. A while back
they had many stories of consumers with stories like yours and worse.
Online ordering was a mess, and it was often impossible to get a
store employee to take one's money. Based on these stories, they
predicted the death spiral that seems to have sucked Sears in. I
don't have personal experience with the problems, but I also haven't
shopped at Sears in quite a while.

But, before I got to "Sears" in my lyrics, I was *expecting* to
write a song about mall shopping (or mall stores) in general. As I
said, things took a strange turn and I just kept writing what came to
me. As Lee said some time back, "Never argue with the muse. She
might snit off and not want to come back."

OTOH, when I shop at Target I always test-scan what I'm about to
buy. When I buy groceries there, more often than not I'll have to
take a picture of the shelf price to bring to the cashier so I won't
be overcharged. One item rang up 20% higher than the shelf price for
almost 6 months, despite my telling several people (including
management and Target corporate) about it. They fixed it just before
I was finally going to try to find the correct enforcement people.
2017-07-26 10:13:51 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
OTOH, when I shop at Target I always test-scan what I'm about to
buy. When I buy groceries there, more often than not I'll have to
take a picture of the shelf price to bring to the cashier so I won't
be overcharged. One item rang up 20% higher than the shelf price for
almost 6 months, despite my telling several people (including
management and Target corporate) about it. They fixed it just before
I was finally going to try to find the correct enforcement people.
My main problem at Target has been finding shelf prices at all for items.
Rich Brown
2017-07-26 13:15:24 UTC
I hear your pain. Once upon a time Sears was my go-to store for tools.
The stuff they sell now is the typical third rate lowest-bid crud.

Sears: not gone, but pretty much forgotten.
Kay Shapero
2017-08-01 06:43:48 UTC
Post by Rich Brown
I hear your pain. Once upon a time Sears was my go-to store for tools.
The stuff they sell now is the typical third rate lowest-bid crud.
Sears: not gone, but pretty much forgotten.
Used to be my go-to place for household appliances. (OK, a looong time
ago). Stopped when I couldn't find anything I would care to give
houseroom. Cut rate is one thing - cut quality is fatal.
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm