New poem: Colors
2017-08-13 00:14:27 UTC
If you see scansion problems in the third stanza, please check the
original before pointing them out to me.

Title: Colors
Ala: Where Go the Boats by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dark brown is the otter;
Golden is the wasp.
There's colors in the fauna,
And green throughout the copse.

Green plants and yellow
Flowers on their stems.
With all this a fellow
Has no need of gems.

Rainbows have beauty,
As do azure seas.
And even some spiders
Have colors that please.

People come in colors
(Some are multi-tone).
All too many favor
Only people of their own.

My words copyright 2017 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Mark Mandel
2017-08-13 16:52:52 UTC
Oh, I LIKE this! I have known the original and loved to sing it since I was about seven. I still remember the cover of the record, "A Child's Garden of Verses" on the "Esoteric" label (a completely self-descriptive word to me at the time, I had no idea what it meant). Saving.

About the scansion: The relevant fact is that the verses have different tunes and don't all scan the same.

Heh. The title immediately reminds me of Donovan's very different 1960s song "Colours"

which I have also liked ever since I heard it and still occasionally sing, but not nearly so much as this one. (Especially since my true love's hair was brown.)

Mark Mandel
The Filker with No Nickname
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-13 17:27:33 UTC
Oh, correction: The tune I know is clearly not by Stevenson and is not part of the poem itself. The record (though not the original pressing) is listed at https://www.discogs.com/Seymour-Barab-Russell-Oberlin-A-Childs-Garden-Of-Verses/release/9969296. Here's the review I've just put there:

This is a wonderful recording, but this is not the original release. I well remember listening to it in my bedroom as a child, probably in the late fifties, and wondering at the strange label name, "Esoteric", which was indeed esoteric to me. The cover was pink and didn't have Steig's art. I have a very strong memory for songs in general, and I still know and sing some of these, including The Swing, Windy Nights, and Where Go the Boats.
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-13 17:32:48 UTC
Oh, correction: The tune I know is clearly not by Stevenson and is not part of the poem itself. The record (though not the original pressing) is listed at https://www.discogs.com/Seymour-Barab-Russell-Oberlin-A-Childs-Garden-Of-Verses/release/9969296. Here's the review I've just put there:

This is a wonderful recording, but this is not the original release. I well remember listening to it in my bedroom as a child, probably in the late fifties, and wondering at the strange label name, "Esoteric", which was indeed esoteric to me. The cover was pink and didn't have Steig's art. I have a very strong memory for songs in general, and I still know and sing some of these, including The Swing, Windy Nights, and Where Go the Boats.

And I've added this:
PS: The original is listed at https://search.library.wisc.edu/catalog/9910128657402121 , which says "Publication New York : Esoteric Records, [1953]"
m***@gmail.com
2017-08-13 17:23:32 UTC