"Snowflake"
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-26 10:44:18 UTC
Barry Gold Thinking of "Take It Back" and of "The Weight of a Snowflake"
(see http://www.all-creatures.org/stories/snowflake.html), I've been
thinking of writing a song.

I think it'd go to "Giant" but so far I've only got the first few lines.

Oh, the weight of a snowflake seems nothing at all.
You won't notice a thousand when they happen to fall.

--Lee Gold
Gary McGath
2016-12-26 12:21:34 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Barry Gold Thinking of "Take It Back" and of "The Weight of a Snowflake"
(see http://www.all-creatures.org/stories/snowflake.html), I've been
thinking of writing a song.
I think it'd go to "Giant" but so far I've only got the first few lines.
Oh, the weight of a snowflake seems nothing at all.
You won't notice a thousand when they happen to fall.
After the recent Facebook ruckus, I was thinking of something else
entirely. Or is this an indirect allusion?

Straws and camels also come to mind. I once set a Berton Braley poem on
that topic to music.
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-26 15:47:04 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
After the recent Facebook ruckus, I was thinking of something else
entirely. Or is this an indirect allusion?
As I said, I wanted to take back the image of snowflake,
not using the nasty image of the "recent ruckus"
but the one shown in http://www.all-creatures.org/stories/snowflake.html
in which fragile and seemingly weightless flakes can mass together
and bring peace.

--Lee
Arthur T.
2016-12-26 16:52:43 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
I think it'd go to "Giant" but so far I've only got the first few lines.
Oh, the weight of a snowflake seems nothing at all.
You won't notice a thousand when they happen to fall.
My web search showed me many songs titled "Giant". None that I
tried (before I gave up) fit your words.
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-26 17:09:02 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Lee Gold XP
I think it'd go to "Giant" but so far I've only got the first few lines.
Oh, the weight of a snowflake seems nothing at all.
You won't notice a thousand when they happen to fall.
My web search showed me many songs titled "Giant". None that I
tried (before I gave up) fit your words.
Oops, sorry for not specifying enough for you.

"Giant" by Stan Rogers.

http://stanrogers.net/the-music/song-archive/giant/

--Lee
Paul Rubin
2016-12-26 20:45:34 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
"Giant" by Stan Rogers.
http://stanrogers.net/the-music/song-archive/giant/
http://youtu.be/imSFwqq4cO0
Oh cool, I can't watch it from here but now I know what to listen to
later. Your lyric scans to "Irish Washerwoman" with a few tweaks but
that's probably not the mood you had in mind.
Arthur T.
2016-12-26 22:57:19 UTC
Post by Paul Rubin
Oh cool, I can't watch it from here but now I know what to listen to
later.
Ditto.
Post by Paul Rubin
Your lyric scans to "Irish Washerwoman" with a few tweaks but
that's probably not the mood you had in mind.
Similar for me, but ttto 16 Tons. I'll eventually get the
correct music; I imagine the music chosen will best fit the intent.

<pedant>
The best estimates I could get for ~ 3,000,000 snowflakes has
the top of the range at about 20 lbs (9 kg). That's unlikely to
break a healthy tree limb, especially one with needles.
</pedant>
Of course the story was about inspiration, not math or physics.
Mark Mandel
2016-12-27 16:27:54 UTC
If you want physics, just change "million" to "billion". Presto! twenty *tons*.

Mark