The un-death of Gary McGath
2016-12-02 12:22:56 UTC
Fellow Filkers,

Gary is demonstrably not dead.

The few people that believed a message that absurd should at least know that not even Gary would write a song entitled "Ayn Rand's Ode to Bilbo Baggins" (though should anyone want to go ahead and write one I hereby wave all copyright claims).

Clearly, satire is something that is lost on the Dunning-Kruger crowd.

On a completely different subject, Gary writes on his website that:

"After this call, Dan and Scott commented that on a previous occasion, they had angered a person in Florida to the point that he threatened to kill me. "

True enough. I have sourced the original material and should you too wish to enjoy its contents (as well as experience a piece of Internet history) you can do so at the following link:

Kind Regards,

Lance Manload
u***@gmail.com
2016-12-02 17:47:34 UTC
“Clearly, satire is something that is lost on the Dunning-Kruger crowd.”

Indeed. Especially when delivered, to some at least, out of context.

I think it's time to start tipping off law enforcement authorities that Lance Manload is (choose one)

1) Trafficking in underage youths
2) A major meth dealer
3) Planning a terrorist attack on a major con in (city or region of authority addressed)

****** </satire> ******
Gary McGath 2.0
2016-12-02 17:57:09 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
“Clearly, satire is something that is lost on the Dunning-Kruger crowd.”
Indeed. Especially when delivered, to some at least, out of context.
I think it's time to start tipping off law enforcement authorities that Lance Manload is (choose one)
1) Trafficking in underage youths
2) A major meth dealer
3) Planning a terrorist attack on a major con in (city or region of authority addressed)
****** </satire> ******
First of all you're missing parenthesis which somewhat reduces the impacting of your scathing attack.
Post by u***@gmail.com
1) Trafficking in underage youths
2) A major meth dealer
3) Planning a terrorist attack on a major con in (city or region of authority addressed)
Why not all three? I think you'd have a hard time convincing law enforcement of number three because then you'd have to explain what a filk con IS and then you'd get arrested for wasting police time. I'd go with tax evasion. They'll move a lot faster on that.

Kind Regards,

LM
u***@gmail.com
2016-12-02 18:10:36 UTC
"First of all you're missing parenthesis which somewhat reduces the impacting of your scathing attack."

Do you mean "a parenthesis" (singular) or "parentheses" (plural)? In any case, the use of a single, unmatched right parenthesis after the index of a list item is well established.

Why do you use the unusual gerund of the verb "to impact" rather than the customary noun "impact"? If you mean to convey a distinction, I'm missing it.

I would recommend commas after the introductory sentence-adverbial phrase "First of all" and before the non-restrictive modifying clause beginning with "which".

Appropriate regards, etc.
Gary McGath 2.0
2016-12-02 18:14:32 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
"First of all you're missing parenthesis which somewhat reduces the impacting of your scathing attack."
Do you mean "a parenthesis" (singular) or "parentheses" (plural)? In any case, the use of a single, unmatched right parenthesis after the index of a list item is well established.
Why do you use the unusual gerund of the verb "to impact" rather than the customary noun "impact"? If you mean to convey a distinction, I'm missing it.
I would recommend commas after the introductory sentence-adverbial phrase "First of all" and before the non-restrictive modifying clause beginning with "which".
Appropriate regards, etc.
I just got OWNED! Now do it in Klingon.

Respect,

LM
u***@gmail.com
2016-12-03 06:44:06 UTC
"First of all you're missing parenthesis which somewhat reduces the impacting of your scathing attack" jatlhpu' Lance Manload.

_parenthesis_ (wa' qevpob) _parentheses_ (qevpobmey) ghap Dajatlh DaneH? mu'vam mu'vetlh joq bIneHchugh, reH tetlhDaq mI' 'angmeH wa' qevpob nIH lo'lu'law'.

qatlh wot _to impact_ (mup) DIp tu'qom qub Dalo', DIp motlh _an impact_ (Saq) Dalo'be'? pIm mu'tlhegh DaneHchugh vaj vIleghbe'.

mu'tlhegh choHbogh bI'reS mu'ghom _First of all_ 'emDaq, vuSbe'bogh 'ej choHbogh mu'ghom _which_ tlhopDaq je yevvemHom Davev 'e' vIchup.

van lugh...
Gary McGath 2.0
Irony. Dead. I can't believe you just did that.
Leslie
2016-12-02 21:54:33 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Fellow Filkers,
Gary is demonstrably not dead.
The few people that believed a message that absurd should at least know that not even Gary would write a song entitled "Ayn Rand's Ode to Bilbo Baggins" (though should anyone want to go ahead and write one I hereby wave all copyright claims).
Clearly, satire is something that is lost on the Dunning-Kruger crowd.
"After this call, Dan and Scott commented that on a previous occasion, they had angered a person in Florida to the point that he threatened to kill me. "
http://youtu.be/lkfkBNWNKNc
Kind Regards,
Lance Manload
Heheheheheh. Schroedinger's Gary McGath! Is he alive or is he dead? You can't know until he posts.
Gary McGath 2.0
2016-12-02 21:57:32 UTC
Post by Leslie
Post by Gary McGath
Fellow Filkers,
Gary is demonstrably not dead.
The few people that believed a message that absurd should at least know that not even Gary would write a song entitled "Ayn Rand's Ode to Bilbo Baggins" (though should anyone want to go ahead and write one I hereby wave all copyright claims).
Clearly, satire is something that is lost on the Dunning-Kruger crowd.
"After this call, Dan and Scott commented that on a previous occasion, they had angered a person in Florida to the point that he threatened to kill me. "
http://youtu.be/lkfkBNWNKNc
Kind Regards,
Lance Manload
Heheheheheh. Schroedinger's Gary McGath! Is he alive or is he dead? You can't know until he posts.
I'm making a complaint with the police. I'm going to have you prosecuted.

Damn Slime Idiot.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Mark Mandel
2016-12-03 06:52:04 UTC
Post by Gary McGath 2.0
Post by Leslie
Heheheheheh. Schroedinger's Gary McGath! Is he alive or is he dead? You can't know until he posts.
I'm making a complaint with the police. I'm going to have you prosecuted.
Damn Slime Idiot.
Kind Regards,
Gary
Now, THIS is a true moron. To pick a fight with The Fish... This is a bid for a Darwin Award! I wanna watch this one work out!
Leslie, he's already totally dead, above the neck at least.

Mark Mandel (the one and only, at least in filk)
Gary McGath
2016-12-03 10:47:10 UTC
Post by Mark Mandel
Now, THIS is a true moron. To pick a fight with The Fish... This is a bid for a Darwin Award! I wanna watch this one work out!
Leslie, he's already totally dead, above the neck at least.
Mark Mandel (the one and only, at least in filk)
Yep, things should get very amusing from here. Maybe he's planning to
call Sheriff Joe?
Spear Carrier
2016-12-03 15:22:36 UTC
Gorsh, and all I suggested was we remove the troll. LOL.
Gary McGath 2.0
Which one is The Fish?
Tim Merrigan
2016-12-03 21:42:46 UTC
On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 10:34:39 -0800 (PST), "Gary McGath 2.0"
Post by Gary McGath 2.0
Post by Mark Mandel
Post by Gary McGath 2.0
Post by Leslie
Heheheheheh. Schroedinger's Gary McGath! Is he alive or is he dead? You can't know until he posts.
I'm making a complaint with the police. I'm going to have you prosecuted.
Damn Slime Idiot.
Kind Regards,
Gary
Now, THIS is a true moron. To pick a fight with The Fish... This is a bid for a Darwin Award! I wanna watch this one work out!
Leslie, he's already totally dead, above the neck at least.
Mark Mandel (the one and only, at least in filk)
Which one is The Fish?
Leslie Fish, I assume.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Barry Gold
2016-12-04 17:12:29 UTC
Post by Mark Mandel
Now, THIS is a true moron. To pick a fight with The Fish... This is a bid for a Darwin Award! I wanna watch this one work out!
Leslie, he's already totally dead, above the neck at least.
Or maybe a reverse Darwin award: immortalized in a song so funny and
scathing that people will remember how stupid you were long after
they've forgotten your name.

Do not meddle in the affairs of filkers, for there is a funny variation
of your name which scans to Greensleeves.
(hint: _everything_ scans to Greensleeves)
(Well, almost everything. The Preamble to the US Constitution does not
scan to Greensleeves. It took about half an hour of trying before we --
a LAFA circle -- found a tune it could be sledgehammered into, and I
have since forgotten which one.)
I do so have a memory. It's backed up on DVD... somewhere...
Gary McGath
2016-12-04 18:13:17 UTC
Post by Barry Gold
Do not meddle in the affairs of filkers, for there is a funny variation
of your name which scans to Greensleeves.
(hint: _everything_ scans to Greensleeves)
(Well, almost everything. The Preamble to the US Constitution does not
scan to Greensleeves. It took about half an hour of trying before we --
a LAFA circle -- found a tune it could be sledgehammered into, and I
have since forgotten which one.)
Schoolhouse Rock managed to set the Preamble to a tune.

Randall Thompson apparently didn't, which surprises me.
Tim Merrigan
2016-12-04 20:13:10 UTC
On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 13:13:17 -0500, Gary McGath
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Barry Gold
Do not meddle in the affairs of filkers, for there is a funny variation
of your name which scans to Greensleeves.
(hint: _everything_ scans to Greensleeves)
(Well, almost everything. The Preamble to the US Constitution does not
scan to Greensleeves. It took about half an hour of trying before we --
a LAFA circle -- found a tune it could be sledgehammered into, and I
have since forgotten which one.)
Schoolhouse Rock managed to set the Preamble to a tune.
http://youtu.be/0EfnNUt_nwY
Randall Thompson apparently didn't, which surprises me.
Well, they wrote a tune to fit the preamble, rather than trying to fit
it into an existing tune.

Tim Merrigan
Gary McGath
2016-12-07 01:09:54 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Well, they wrote a tune to fit the preamble, rather than trying to fit
it into an existing tune.
With some twisting that violates normal space-time, you can sort of fit
it to Handel's Hallelujah Chorus:

(Hallelujah, Hallelujah...)
We the people, We the people,
We the people, We the people, of the United States,
In - order, In - order,
In order, To form a, more perfect u-nion,
(For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth)
Provide for the common defense,
(For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth)
Establish justice, insure domestic
(Hallelujah, Hallelujah...)
Tranquil-IT-y, Tranquil-IT-y,
(The kingdom of this world)
The blessings of liberty
(is become)
To ourselves
(The kingdom of our Lord)
And our posterity,
(And of his Christ)
Posterity,
(And he shall reign forever and ever)
Do ordain and establish this constitution
(King of kings, and Lord of lords)
Do ordain, for the U.S.A.
(Hallelujah)
We the ... peo ... ple!!

However, Handel would undoubtedly rise from the grave and strangle
whoever tried to sing it. Which brings us back to un-death.
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-07 02:47:38 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
I don't know the melody -- and was somewhat turned off by "Christ"
poppin up there.

Could you do something for the earlier Dutch Declaration, signed and
sealed July 26, 1581?
My own take on it was in "Dam the Sea" (Filker Up #4) to the tune of
"Troll Hall."

--Lee

The States General of the United Provinces of the Low Countries, to all
whom it may concern, do by these Presents send greeting:
A prince is constituted by God to be ruler of a people, to defend them
from oppression and violence as the shepherd his sheep. And when he
does not behave thus, but, on the contrary, oppresses them, seeking
opportunities to infringe their ancient customs and privileges, exacting
from them slavish compliance, then he is no longer a prince, but a
tyrant, and the subjects are to consider him in no other view.... And
this is what the law of nature dictates for the defense of liberty,
which we ought to transmit to posterity, even at the hazard of our
lives....
So, having no hope of reconciliation, and finding no other remedy, we
have, agreeable to the law of nature in our own defense, and for
maintaining the rights, privileges, and liberties of our countrymen,
wives, and children, and latest posterity from being enslaved by the
Spaniards, been constrained to renounce allegiance to the King of Spain,
and pursue such methods as appear to us most likely to secure our
ancient liberties and privileges.
Gary McGath
2016-12-07 10:58:47 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
I don't know the melody -- and was somewhat turned off by "Christ"
poppin up there.
The parts in parentheses are the original words, as a guide to how to
make it all fit together. They wouldn't be sung when singing the Preamble.

I tend to assume everyone knows the Hallelujah Chorus. Thanks for
reminding me that's not a safe assumption for any tune. Here's one of
many recordings available on YouTube:

2016-12-04 18:19:25 UTC
That reminds me of a song I wrote so long ago that I had to salvage it
from an outdated format just now. It sort of fits what's been happening
lately.

Doppelposter
Lyrics: Gary McGath, Copyright 1995
Music: “Doppergänger” by Kathy Mar

(1)
Who wrote this post, bringing us disgrace?
I know it’s false, a fraud in cyberspace.
What is your name? What server do you haunt?
What do you want? Doppelposter!

(2)
Your signature doesn’t verify;
That proves you’re fake; your post is just a lie.
Your vile pretense — name that isn’t yours.
I track your spoor — Doppelposter!

(3)
Forgery! Utter fantasy!
Are you McGath in disguise?
Forgery! There is heresy
In your post. You are toast in my eyes!

(Repeat 1 and 3)

(4)
Where are you now? I will drive you out.
Your time is near, this is not in doubt.
My cross and stake will destroy you, grafter,
So hear my laughter — Doppelposter!
Leslie
2016-12-06 19:25:10 UTC
Aha! Gary is clearly alive!

TTTO: "Magic Is Afoot"

Vengeance is afoot. Gary is alive.
Gary is afoot. Vengeance is alive,
Cleaning out the trolls, false news and the spam.
Schroedinger, get lost; the cat came back.

etc. Feel free to add to.

--Leslie <;)))><