New filk: Fleeing From America
x***@gmail.com
2017-02-16 06:35:54 UTC

Today, Today, Today

My country 'twas of thee (today)
Once land of liberty (today)
Of thee I sing (today)
Of thee I sing
Today, Today, Today
Today, today, today......

--------------

Yes, this was inspired by recent events. It's rather disturbing how little the original lyrics needed to be adjusted for this one…
Arthur T.
2017-02-16 08:20:41 UTC
In
Post by x***@gmail.com
To the tune of "Coming to America"
<snip>
Post by x***@gmail.com
Yes, this was inspired by recent events. It's rather disturbing how little the original lyrics needed to be adjusted for this one
It looks like you wanted to make minimal changes to get your
point across. And you did.

But I was a bit bothered by the scansion on the often repeated
line
Post by x***@gmail.com
They're leaving America
The original has an extra syllable: "They're coming to America".

If I were writing this, I might put an adjective before
"America". Maybe "new", "this", or "Trump's". Or I might change it
a bit more to "They've set out from America".

But, it's your song to change or leave as you please.
Jeff Urs
2017-02-17 13:01:19 UTC
Or, perhaps, even "fleeing from".
Jeff
Lee Gold XP
2017-02-17 17:40:11 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
Or, perhaps, even "fleeing from".
Sounds like a song from WEST SIDE STORY.

I want to flee from America.
What do you see in America?
Racists feel free in America.
No room for me in America.

--Lee
http://www.westsidestory.com/site/level2/lyrics/america.html
x***@gmail.com
Yep. The thing is, the tune gives the word "to" a short note, and "from" doesn't fit as well into that space. I figured excising the extra syllable was, in this case, the lesser of two evils. YMMV.
Gary McGath
2017-02-16 15:49:06 UTC
Post by x***@gmail.com
To the tune of "Coming to America"
On the boats and on the planes
They're leaving America
Never looking back again,
They're leaving America
Too true. And sometimes on foot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/world/canada/trump-migrants-canada.html
Rich Brown

Maybe it's time for "KEEP following the Drinking Gourd" or suchlike.
John Davis
2017-02-16 19:37:33 UTC
Post by x***@gmail.com
To the tune of "Coming to America"
On the boats and on the planes
They're leaving America
Never looking back again,
They're leaving America
Like the song but keep thinking there is a word missing. (don't have the
original handy to compare with

But as I recall it
"They're leaving for America was the original, if I'm not mistaken

So "They're Leavign FROM America...?

But all in all a good job.
Lee Gold XP
2017-02-16 23:13:18 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Gary McGath
Post by x***@gmail.com
To the tune of "Coming to America"
On the boats and on the planes They're leaving America Never looking
back again,
They're leaving America
Too true. And sometimes on foot.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/11/world/canada/trump-migrants-
canada.html
Maybe it's time for "KEEP following the Drinking Gourd" or suchlike.
Runaway slaves sometimes crossed into Canada for safety during the time
of the Fugitive Slave Act.

I grew up reading Benet's "Freedom's a Hard Bought Thing."
"This is Canada and I'm free."

--Lee