WWII Propaganda Filk
Scott Dorsey
2017-04-03 19:50:27 UTC
The Original:

The Filk:

--scott
2017-04-03 21:17:14 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
The Original: http://youtu.be/KmM0_Ilaww8
The Filk: http://youtu.be/pXm7n2QSVMM
It seems strangely directed. I could see those words (or their German
equivalent) encouraging Germans, but I'd think it would make the British
and Americans more determined to fight against the offshore threat.
Scott Dorsey
2017-04-03 21:52:59 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Scott Dorsey
The Original: http://youtu.be/KmM0_Ilaww8
The Filk: http://youtu.be/pXm7n2QSVMM
It seems strangely directed. I could see those words (or their German
equivalent) encouraging Germans, but I'd think it would make the British
and Americans more determined to fight against the offshore threat.
I cannot speak for the effectiveness of propaganda, I am merely able to
point out that the Germans lost that war in part due to not understanding
their enemies well enough.
--scott
Tim Merrigan
2017-04-03 23:55:04 UTC
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 17:17:14 -0400, Gary McGath
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Scott Dorsey
The Original: http://youtu.be/KmM0_Ilaww8
The Filk: http://youtu.be/pXm7n2QSVMM
It seems strangely directed. I could see those words (or their German
equivalent) encouraging Germans, but I'd think it would make the British
and Americans more determined to fight against the offshore threat.
From the publisher and band I was expecting Nazi propaganda, but the
lyrics sounded like Allied propaganda.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Gary McGath
2017-04-04 19:21:39 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Scott Dorsey
The Original: http://youtu.be/KmM0_Ilaww8
The Filk: http://youtu.be/pXm7n2QSVMM
It seems strangely directed. I could see those words (or their German
equivalent) encouraging Germans, but I'd think it would make the British
and Americans more determined to fight against the offshore threat.
From the publisher and band I was expecting Nazi propaganda, but the
lyrics sounded like Allied propaganda.
I tried another one of their recordings, "Making Whoopie," and it was
more like what I'd expect Nazi propaganda to be like, blaming Jews for
everything.

Anyone too distressed by Charlie could try listening to another German
group, the Comedian Harmonists. They performed a capella or lightly
accompanied vocal music with vocal instrumental effects. The Nazis shut
them down because half the members were Jewish.
2017-04-06 13:30:33 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Scott Dorsey
The Original: http://youtu.be/KmM0_Ilaww8
The Filk: http://youtu.be/pXm7n2QSVMM
It seems strangely directed. I could see those words (or their German
equivalent) encouraging Germans, but I'd think it would make the British
and Americans more determined to fight against the offshore threat.
From the publisher and band I was expecting Nazi propaganda, but the
lyrics sounded like Allied propaganda.
Today is the 100th anniversary of the US entry into World War I, and I'm
reminded that German submarine warfare was was one of the two main
factors dragging the US into a war it should really have stayed out of
(the other was Germany's dealings with Mexico). Apparently they really
didn't get that sinking ships and bragging about it makes enemies.