Singing about science
2017-12-17 14:22:33 UTC
I just came across a fascinating piece about music within scientific
communities. Absolutely watch the video. Eva Amsen talks about songs
sung by scientists for other scientists, comparing it very knowledgeably
with filk music. She explores the question "What is filk?" from the
standpoint of someone who understands the filk community but isn't part
of it. She cites "You Bash the Balrog" as one of her examples of filk.

https://www.causeweb.org/voices/2017/panel/5-3
Leslie
Damn, what about Dr. Seti, or Dr. J. Robinson, or Steve Savitsky?
Arthur T.
2017-12-19 05:13:27 UTC
In
Post by Leslie
Post by Gary McGath
I just came across a fascinating piece about music within scientific
communities. Absolutely watch the video. Eva Amsen talks about songs
sung by scientists for other scientists, comparing it very knowledgeably
with filk music. She explores the question "What is filk?" from the
standpoint of someone who understands the filk community but isn't part
of it. She cites "You Bash the Balrog" as one of her examples of filk.
https://www.causeweb.org/voices/2017/panel/5-3
Damn, what about Dr. Seti, or Dr. J. Robinson, or Steve Savitsky?
She did mention Dr. Seti as an example of a scientist filker,
and said that it was just an example of a larger set.

It's good to see someone publicizing the existence of filk. But
I'm bothered by the amount of time (most of it) spent asking and
answering the questions that many of us try to avoid: "What is filk?"
and "Is this specific song filk?"

From my quotes file: "The definition of most types of music is
written in the firmest of JELLO."

P.S.
Gary, thanks for posting that link. I'm glad I watched that
video.
2017-12-19 11:07:07 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
It's good to see someone publicizing the existence of filk. But
I'm bothered by the amount of time (most of it) spent asking and
answering the questions that many of us try to avoid: "What is filk?"
and "Is this specific song filk?"
There's been a lot of discussion of that within the filk community too.
She discussed Melissa Tatum's paper, and Sally Childs-Helton did an
academic paper studying filk. It makes sense that someone who's outside
the filk community but interested in it would try to understand the
phenomenon.