New filk: Ooblek
2016-12-11 07:07:23 UTC
Title: Ooblek
ttto: Everglades by Harlan Howard

There's this stuff you make, non-Newtonian
It's so odd you might think Plutonian
It's a fluid now; it's a solid then
Remove the force and then you start again...
You'll find it supports the weight of men

It's just a corn starch and a water mix
It's so runny you know you can't make no bricks
But you fill a long tank, though it seems low-tech,
Set it up by your backyard deck
Just look what happens with your ooblek

You can run on it; you can ride on it
But you cannot stop and stay on top of it
So you better keep moving and don't stand still
If you make it on across you've had a mighty thrill

There's a lot of vids from the YouTube crew
Doin' all kinds of stuff with this viscous goo
Shoot it, explode it, punch it, and more
Just search the web; you'll get hits galore
There's lots of physics you can explore

How they empty the tanks, well they don't explain
Disposing the stuff is a major pain
Don't do it at home or you'll have to find
A dump where your ooblek can be consigned
But it fun while you keep it well confined

You can run on it; you can ride on it
But you cannot stop and stay on top of it
So you better keep moving and don't stand still
If you make it on across you've had a mighty thrill

Running just like heck 'cross that weird ooblek
Pound across that goop; don't sink in the soup
(Or) step into it slow up to your elbow

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Arthur T.
2016-12-11 08:07:21 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Ooblek
It looks like I consistently misspelled oobleck. Please read it
as oobleck throughout.
Kay Shapero
2016-12-11 09:08:29 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Ooblek
ttto: Everglades by Harlan Howard
There's this stuff you make, non-Newtonian
It's so odd you might think Plutonian
It's a fluid now; it's a solid then
Remove the force and then you start again...
You'll find it supports the weight of men
And now I know of TWO Ooblek filks. :) Don't know the tune but it
looks entertaining.
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
Arthur T.
2016-12-12 02:56:02 UTC
In
Post by Kay Shapero
And now I know of TWO Ooblek filks. :)
Well, I only know this one. Is the other online (words or
sung)?
Post by Kay Shapero
Don't know the tune but it
looks entertaining.
I think it's findable online. The version for the TV show uses
the same music for the verse, but I'm not sure if it's the same for
the chorus. The original song had the line, "He better keep moving
and don't stand still" which is what started me on writing this filk.
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-12 06:15:47 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Post by Kay Shapero
Don't know the tune but it
looks entertaining.
I think it's findable online. The version for the TV show uses
the same music for the verse, but I'm not sure if it's the same for
the chorus. The original song had the line, "He better keep moving
and don't stand still" which is what started me on writing this filk.
There was "Ooblik in the Bathtub" by Matthesen (in the ConChord 8 songbook).

--Lee
Kay Shapero