New filk: Oh My, What an Era
2017-09-29 03:53:23 UTC
If you see any scientific errors, I'd like to know. (In
addition to any more usual problems like singability.)

Title: Oh My, What an Era
ttto: O Lord, What a Morning

Oh my, what an era
Oh my, what an era
Oh my, what an era
'fore the stars began to shine

First there was the GUT era
Just one force plus gravity
And it happened so early,
'fore the stars began to shine

Then the strong force separated
And all space inflated fast
The reheating split more forces
'fore the stars began to shine

There were quarks mixed with photons
There were gluons in the field
In that plasma, all pervading
'fore the stars began to shine

Though quarks formed into hadrons
And the leptons joined their ranks
It was too hot for atoms
'fore the stars began to shine

Then the protons and neutrons
Formed atomic nuclei
Thus they thinned out the quark soup
'fore the stars began to shine

Energy's mostly photons
Till expansion sapped their heat
Then the particles outbalanced
'fore the stars began to shine

Free electrons stopped all photons
All of space was quite opaque
Still space slowly grew and cooled off
'fore the stars began to shine

Then came recombination
As the atoms now could form
Early light now could travel
'fore the stars began to shine

Matter drew other matter
And the clumps began to grow
Till the pressure started fusion
And the stars began to shine

Big stars made complex atoms
When their hydrogen ran low
And they spewed them to the vacuum
Supernovas brightly shone

New stars sprang from that discharge
Rocky planets now could form
At least one now has life forms
While our Sun proceeds to shine

We are all made of star stuff
All we see and all we feel
That is humbling and exalting
As our minds begin to shine

Oh my, what an era
Oh my, what an era
Oh my, what an era
As our minds begin to shine

My lyrics copyright 2017 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Lee Gold XP
2017-09-29 03:57:16 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
If you see any scientific errors, I'd like to know. (In
addition to any more usual problems like singability.)
I didn't see any mention of dark matter & dark matter
-- and I admit I don't understand them at all.

--Lee
2. no money changes hands.
Arthur T.
2017-09-29 06:08:06 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Post by Arthur T.
If you see any scientific errors, I'd like to know. (In
addition to any more usual problems like singability.)
I didn't see any mention of dark matter & dark matter
-- and I admit I don't understand them at all.
I think that's at most "omission" rather than "mistake".

My vague understanding is that dark matter has more to do with
the evolution of galaxies than with stars. Though it might be some of
the cause for the clumping that led to stellar formation.

As for dark energy... last I heard, no one is quite sure what it
is. But if it's the energy of empty space (as in one hypothesis), it
should have played little part in the early universe. I'm not sure
if anyone has suggested it was the cause of inflation.
2017-10-26 05:10:36 UTC
Post by Lee Gold XP
Post by Arthur T.
If you see any scientific errors, I'd like to know. (In
addition to any more usual problems like singability.)
I didn't see any mention of dark matter & dark matter
-- and I admit I don't understand them at all.
Note re the 2nd line: Various articles show the ratio of dark matter
to "normal" matter to be from 4:1 to almost 7:1. Sing whatever
number is comfortable and/or fits a recent or trusted source. (This
note is not part of the filk.)

Title: Oh, My, What Can Dark Matter Be?
ttto: Oh, Dear, What Can the Matter Be?

Oh, my. What can dark matter be?
Four times what's seen in our galaxy.
Though it seems it won't interact,
Gravity shows that it's there.

The MACHOs were winning at first in hypotheses;
WIMPs overpowered them. Scientist devotees
Tried hard to find them in supercolliders, but
They have had no luck so far.

And then, what is dark energy?
It is more of a mystery.
Maybe force out of empty space.
We know there's lots of it there.

Expansion accelerates; what a surprising find.
Force that is pushing space, so far, is undefined.
Matter and dark matter seem to be overwhelmed.
Are there more forces than four?

Kay Shapero
2017-10-06 04:46:47 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
If you see any scientific errors, I'd like to know. (In
addition to any more usual problems like singability.)
Title: Oh My, What an Era
ttto: O Lord, What a Morning
I don't know the tune (will have to look it up), but I like the song!
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
Arthur T.
2017-10-06 06:08:28 UTC
In
Post by Kay Shapero
Post by Arthur T.
ttto: O Lord, What a Morning
I don't know the tune (will have to look it up), but I like the song!
You'll have an easier time finding it by its correct name (which
I apparently screwed up): My Lord, What a Morning