New song: American Hymn
2016-11-15 05:52:59 UTC
I accidentally posted this to AMF. Reposted here:

Title: American Hymn
ttto: Marine Hymn

Do you like to fight and maim and kill?
Are you ready to break bones?
You will find we're fighting battles
Throughout all the world's time zones.
We've become the cops and peacekeepers,
And the bullies, sad to say.
All the nations ask uneasily,
Where will we invade today?

First we fought what nations dared attack
And we won respect, it's clear.
Now we find excuses to invade,
And respect has turned to fear.
All the things that others did to us,
And we fought to make them cease,
Now we do to others shamelessly,
Though it won't result in peace.

We are glad we have this fighting force
That will never be outdone.
But we've fought in every clime and place
Wherein we could take a gun.
We must learn that winning hearts and minds
Can't be done by force of arms.
Why not try ten thousand diplomats,
Maybe they can win by charm.

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Gary McGath
2016-11-15 11:06:00 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
We must learn that winning hearts and minds
Can't be done by force of arms.
An important lesson indeed.
Tim Merrigan
2016-11-15 20:58:28 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
[...]
The second condition of your licence is gonna be hard since the song
is political at it's base.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Arthur T.
2016-11-16 04:50:20 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Arthur T.
My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.
The second condition of your licence is gonna be hard since the song
is political at it's base.
I don't think so. Including the song in a general filk concert,
or a filk archive would be proper and reasonable. I don't expect
that Lee would want it for Xeno, but if she did, that would not be a
political use.

I added that condition after I saw what some of the campaigns
were doing with songs. Even if someone wanted to use one of my songs
for a cause I agreed with, I'd want to be consulted and given the
opportunity to veto the use. IANAL, but I think that until a song
has been commercially released, people can't use it while merely
relying on ASCAP & BMI payments.
Kay Shapero
2016-11-17 07:38:55 UTC
Post by Arthur T.