New filk: Java
2016-06-22 03:04:42 UTC
Title: Java
ttto: Java (by Allen Toussaint, Freddy Friday, & Alvin Tyler)
(This was written to the version played by Al Hirt)
Note: OO and VM are pronounced Oh-Oh and Vee-Em.

Song starts after fourteen notes. You can count them down now. Go:

There's those little green beans on the bushes that you grow
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
Well you take those little beans and you roast them up real slow
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
When the beans turn brown, they are cooked enough to brew.
You can grind them up, and pour simm'ring water through
They will help you do everything you want to do
Now you know everything that you really need to know

It's an OO language with its very own VM
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
While some don't like it, others think it is a gem
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
It'll run on Windows, on Mac, and Unix, too
It's robust and simple, and easy to review.
It will help you script everything you want to do
Now you know everything that you really need to know

Delicious, exciting, exotic, and useful
You can see the meanings, so different, so playful
The coffee, the language, the island, the music
The racehorse which does not get its own verse

It's a very large island south of Borneo
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
Indonesian, crowded, the result of volcanoes
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
With rainforest in the west and savanna in the east
Since mankind has come, the diversity decreased
Even so, you still can find some rare beasts
Now you know everything that you really need to know

Delicious, exciting, exotic, and useful
You can see the meanings, so different, so playful
The coffee, the language, the island, the music
The racehorse which does not get its own verse

It's a song Al Hirt plays with his own backing crew
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
Allen Toussaint wrote it (with the help of one or two)
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
It was named for a racehorse, not a cup of joe
It was not meant for trumpet, but for the piano
It'll raise your spirits every time you hear it though
Now you know everything that you really need to know

That's the end now; you can leave. Why are you still list'ning? Go!

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.
Kay Shapero
2016-06-22 06:14:53 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Java
ttto: Java (by Allen Toussaint, Freddy Friday, & Alvin Tyler)
(This was written to the version played by Al Hirt)
Note: OO and VM are pronounced Oh-Oh and Vee-Em.
Applause!!!
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
Gary McGath
2016-06-23 00:01:54 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Java
ttto: Java (by Allen Toussaint, Freddy Friday, & Alvin Tyler)
(This was written to the version played by Al Hirt)
Snagged into ForScore on my iPad.

But "simple" isn't a word I'd apply to Java 8.
2016-06-23 01:00:52 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Arthur T.
Title: Java
ttto: Java (by Allen Toussaint, Freddy Friday, & Alvin Tyler)
(This was written to the version played by Al Hirt)
Snagged into ForScore on my iPad.
But "simple" isn't a word I'd apply to Java 8.
I don't write Java code. But my research (Wiki) showed that one
of its design criteria was simplicity, and I needed *something* to go
into its verse....

I think this song required more research than any of my others,
not counting one still in progress.
2016-06-23 08:54:12 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
I don't write Java code. But my research (Wiki) showed that one
of its design criteria was simplicity, and I needed *something* to go
into its verse....
Java 7 got split into two releases because there was too much stuff in
it to release all at once, and each of those releases was huge in
itself. When I mentioned this to Ed Stauff, he started laughing wildly.
It was because the same thing had just been done to the Harry Potter 7
movie.
Post by Arthur T.
I think this song required more research than any of my others,
not counting one still in progress.
It was worth it. I learned some things I hadn't known.

I'm inclined to substitute "Android" for "Unix" when I sing it, if
that's OK. Either one's accurate, but Android has more public visibility.
2016-06-23 16:40:52 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
Post by Arthur T.
I think this song required more research than any of my others,
not counting one still in progress.
It was worth it. I learned some things I hadn't known.
I'm inclined to substitute "Android" for "Unix" when I sing it, if
that's OK. Either one's accurate, but Android has more public visibility.
For many people, including me, filk is a type of folk, and the
folk tradition suggests that songs mutate. I generally don't have a
problem with that. Though if the song were to be printed somewhere,
I'd want my own words below (or above) my byline.

I especially don't have a problem in this verse. I just picked
things from my research that fit (scansion, meaning, rhyme when
appropriate), so I don't have much investment in the actual choices.
As an old fogey, I think of Android as a type of phone, rather than a
phone operating system. (Though, when pushed to think about it, I
can make the distinction.)

I'm just glad someone likes it enough to sing, at all.
2016-10-18 03:27:22 UTC
Post by Arthur T.
There's those little green beans on the bushes that you grow
Tell me more, tell me more, tell me everything you know
Well you take those little beans and you roast them up real slow
About one third of the sites I got information from said to
roast the green beans. The majority said to wait until the beans
ripen to magenta or red. So, if anyone wants to sing "red" instead
of "green", you'll be at least as correct. (Maybe two thirds of you
should do that.) I prefer the sound of "green" in that line, and at
least some sites say it's right.

I'm not really sure why I looked back at this detail, but I
figured I might as well report on my research.