Q'evan's passing
Jeff Urs
2016-10-06 12:06:26 UTC
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.

I had missed him here; now I know why.

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/tylerpaper/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=179406954&referrer=0&preview=True
Jeff
Lee Gold XP
2016-10-06 14:51:25 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.
I had missed him here; now I know why.
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/tylerpaper/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=179406954&referrer=0&preview=True
That's a shock.

--Lee
Arthur T.
2016-10-07 02:26:56 UTC
In
Post by Jeff Urs
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.
Thank you for letting us know. I knew him only by his posts
here. And I feel a bit odd that the last posts I can find from him
are just a week before his death, and in a thread I had started.
2016-10-07 09:20:43 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.
I had missed him here; now I know why.
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/tylerpaper/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=179406954&referrer=0&preview=True
It just doesn't stop.
Joe Kesselman
2016-11-22 22:48:58 UTC
Post by Gary McGath
It just doesn't stop.
Just saw this thread; I've been AFIAted... The worst part about growing
older is losing people, and having it happen increasingly frequently,
and having it start happening to folks younger than we are.

Alas, the alternatives are either not knowing that they've been lost, or
being the person others lose.

Take care of yourselves, everyone. I came too close to losing me this
summer; I'd rather not lose any of you before I absolutely have to.
(It's much better to start an exercise plan without having a heart
attack first, though I have to admit it's one heck of a motivator.
Hasn't spilled over to the other bad habits yet, alas.)

One piece of good news, just to take the edge off the world: The
percentage of the population suffering dementia seems to be decreasing,
according to NPR. Next step is to try to isolate why, and see if it's
something we can do for everyone else.
Lee Gold XP
2016-11-22 23:25:54 UTC
Post by Joe Kesselman
Post by Gary McGath
It just doesn't stop.
Just saw this thread; I've been AFIAted... The worst part about growing
older is losing people, and having it happen increasingly frequently,
and having it start happening to folks younger than we are.
Alas, the alternatives are either not knowing that they've been lost, or
being the person others lose.
Take care of yourselves, everyone. I came too close to losing me this
summer;
Yikes!
You helped me write a very strange song and I'm still grateful.
Post by Joe Kesselman
I'd rather not lose any of you before I absolutely have to.
(It's much better to start an exercise plan without having a heart
attack first, though I have to admit it's one heck of a motivator.
Barry had a heart attack (probably due to an embolism) at age 34, and he
concurs.

HOLD HANDS TIGHT IN THE CIRCLE
by Lee Gold, July 15, 2000
to the tune of "Dance in the Circle"

We start in a circle with Mommy and Daddy
Their relatives and all their friends
And it's hard to believe that things ever will change
And the good times will come to an end

We grow up in a circle with playmates and classmates.
There are things children can't comprehend:
In some dim misty time we may outlive our parents,
But we don't fear we'll outlive our friends.

So let's hold hands tight in the circle
And treasure each one of our friends.
Hope we won't ever have to tell others
"I wish that you'd known them back when."

Dave McDaniel wrote U.N.C.L.E. books, all about T.H.R.U.S.H.
Ted Johnstone wrote filksongs. The fen
Knew that the two names belonged to one person,
But we never will see him again. [died at 38, 10-31-1977]

Year by year, we're still meeting new people,
And the circle grows wider with friends,
But it still breaks my heart when a face disappears
And we never can see them again.

CHORUS

The Psalmist sang man's life was three score and ten years,
But my friends are dying too young:
They sing in the circle for a verse and a chorus,
Then leave e'er their song is full-sung.

Each person here has their own list of dear ones
Who vanished too early from sight.
I pray everyone here will stay in the circle,
Not disappear into the night.

CHORUS
Arthur T.
2016-12-04 21:45:50 UTC
by Lee Gold, July 15, 2000
to the tune of "Dance in the Circle"
I finally found the music and read your song. You've made
something beautiful out of sadness.
Lee Gold XP
2016-12-04 22:02:40 UTC
by Lee Gold, July 15, 2000
to the tune of "Dance in the Circle"
I finally found the music and read your song. You've made
something beautiful out of sadness.
Thanks.

We sang it to start off the Loscon memorials circle.

--Lee

Kay Shapero
2016-10-08 05:43:36 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.
I had missed him here; now I know why.
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/tylerpaper/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=179406954&referrer=0&preview=True
Oh flames - I'd seen the name but didn't connect it with Q'evan.
Another one, blister it.
--
Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.
X-Lydia
Oh no! He was brilliant!
Martin DeMello
2016-10-29 02:33:32 UTC
Post by Jeff Urs
I only just learned in FaceBook's Filker group that Kevin died in March.
I had missed him here; now I know why.
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/tylerpaper/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=179406954&referrer=0&preview=True
Damn :( Way too young.

martin